PTE Summarize writing text – Writing section
PTE summarize written text is one of the trickiest task that students struggle with, when it comes to the writing section. Most of the students get intimidated by Summarize written text. Summarizing 200 to 250 words passage into 70 to 75 words can get mind numbing and that too in 10 minutes. It is an uphill task but if you follow the tips and tricks given in this blog it will become a cake walk.
Your response must be between 5 to 75 words so check the word count using the ‘Total Word Count’ counter below the response box. If you write fewer than five words or more than 75 words, your response will not be scored. This is the official instruction from the Pearson website which needs to be followed strictly.
You will get a paragraph of 150-200 words which you have to read and summarize in one single sentence of 5-75 Words. You will get 10 minutes to complete this task.
Your response must be expressed within one sentence, so you will need to use a complex or compound sentence to be able to summarize the main point of the passage. You can get 1 or 2 such questions on a single exam day.
DIFFERENT STRATEGIES IN ORDER TO APPROACH PTE SUMMARIZE WRITTEN TEST
- Identify And Focus on Key Sentences: There will be a few sentences that convey the gist of the entire text; identify them and put them together to form your summary. You don’t need to start your summary from a sentence from first paragraph; it can be from any paragraph.
- Focus on Key phrases or words: Use key phrases or keywords to form a grammatically correct and meaningful sentence with proper punctuations.
- Do not waste time and your word limit to include the examples. (Remember: If you exceed the word limit; you will not get any marks).
- Write a complex or a compound sentence, joined by the glue of connectors.. Remember this connector will help you to give a proper grammatical structure to your sentence which will make sense while reading. Connectors that can be used for constructing the complex or compound sentence are listed below:
- Or / But
- For / Yet
- And / So
- Apply capitalization and punctuation appropriately keeping in mind the structure of the sentence.
- If the sentence is made using synonyms and antonyms words instead of copying from the paragraph it will fetch you higher score.
MARKING CRITERION FOR SUMMARIZE TEXT
- 2 POINTS –Grammatical and spelling error: Use proper grammar to make sure you score better. Take care that you do not use comma more than 3 times and your punctuation is correct. In case of spellings, don’t use very difficult words of which you are doubtful about the spellings. It is better to use easier words.
- 2 POINTS-Vocabulary: Use only academic words, never use slangs, short forms or contractions [isn’t, wasn’t] and no abbreviations. Also use synonyms whenever possible which will increase vocabulary points.
- 1 POINT –Form: The word limit is to be strictly followed [5-75]. The writing style should be purely formal. Only one full stop should be there, that is at the end.
- 2 POINTS-Content: You get scored on the accuracy of your content. Be to the point. It should include at least 5-6 key points from the given text in your answer.
The most important factor of getting high score in summarize written text task of writing section is practice. If you don’t practice these paragraphs then it is really difficult to learn how to get the right structure and grammar for the task. For More Details PTE Brisbane click here.