IELTS Essay Topics
The writing task 2 of academic and general IELTS is an essay topic. In this task, the candidates have to write a short essay [consisting of 4 to 5 paragraphs] in response to a topic which is presented as a point of view, an argument or a problem.
WORD LIMIT- The word limit for essay is 250 words minimum
[Penalty for writing less than 250 words. More than the required number of words will not get any extra credits]
SUGGESTED TIME – 40 minutes:
- Planning the content: 5 minutes
- Writing the task: 30 minutes
- Checking: 5 minutes
Some of the examples of ESSAY TOPICS are:
1. Some people think that exams are a good way of assessing a student’s level. Other people believe that they put unnecessary pressure on young learners and tell us very little about their actual ability. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
2. Some people say that all popular TV entertainment programmes should aim to educate viewers about important social issues. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
3. Successful sportsmen can earn a great deal more than people in other important professions. Some people think this is fully justified while others think it is unfair. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
4. Many people believe that a person’s culture is defined by their country of origin, while others believe that it has only minor influence. Discuss both these views and give your opinion.
5. Some people feel thatthere should be a fixed punishment for each type of crime. Others feel that the circumstances of an offence should be taken into account when deciding on a punishment. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
6. More and more people are finding it increasingly important to wear fashionable clothes. Is this attitude to wearing clothes a positive development or negative?
7. Some people believe that all children should learn a foreign language from the time they start school, while others believe it is better to wait until a child is at secondary school. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
8. Some people believe the purpose of education should be helping the individual to become useful for society, while others believe it should help individuals to achieve their ambitions. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
9. Some people believe that in the near future there will be noborders between countries, while others feel that national borders will always remain. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
10. The movement of people from villages to cities for work can cause serious problems in both places. What are the serious problems associated with this? What measures can be taken to solve these problems?
What is the basic structure for IELTS writing task 2 ESSAY in the IELTS exam?
1.Introduction: Be sure to state the question in your own words in your introduction so that you introduce the topic of your task 2.
2. Support your opinion: Once you have made your opinion clear, you have to provide facts to justify your choice
3. State the opposing point of you. You do not have to persuade the examiner about the opposing opinion, but it is important to state what it is.
4. Summarize your opinion.
This is in short the basic format of essay writing, though every essay whether it is an agree/disagree topic or a compare and contrast topic or a problem and its solutions topic has a different format of paragraph writing which can be discussed in the next blog, or check out more IELTS essay here.
Till then, keep learning.