Retell lecture is the most crucial and high weightage task of speaking module. It also contributes towards the listening module. If you are struggling in the listening module then you have to focus on this question so that your listening scores will go up. In this task, you will hear an audio lecture which is 60 to 90 seconds long. While the audio is playing, you have to take notes as much as you can from the lecture. When the recording stops, you have 10 seconds to prepare yourself for speaking. Once the recording starts, you have to explain the lecture in 40 seconds. You will get 3 to 4 retell lectures in your exam and there is no negative marking. Therefore, it is recommended that every retell lecture should be attempted, even if you have less key points.
In order to achieve high scores in speaking retell lecture, you have to focus on some tips and strategies which are as follows:
- Fluency and pronunciation:According to marking criteria, you will achieve 5 points for fluency, 5 points for pronunciation in retell lecture. Both these factors increase your score in the speaking module. To attain 5 points in fluency, there should be no unwanted pauses, hesitations and repetitions in your voice. You have to speak in a flow. To achieve 5 points in pronunciation, you have to speak words with clarity and your voice should be loud enough.
- Content:Content is also a major factor for scoring high in retell lecture. You will achieve 5 points for your content if you write all the key highlights of your lecture. For example, it includes “introduction of your lecture”, “key ideas mentioned in the lecture” and “conclusion of the lecture”.
- Note-taking:While taking notes, try to write 6 to 7 broken sentences or group of words. Write abbreviations and short forms of words wherever possible. For example, write “info” for information, “imp” for important and “prep” for preparation. Apart from that, make sure your notes are organised so that you don’t get confused while reading it.
- Using the power of Connectors: While re-telling the lecture, use connectors like “therefore”, “however”, “moreover” and “in a nutshell” etc. These connectors can be used to start a new sentence or in the middle of a sentence.
- Time management: Time management is also very important in this question. You have to be prepared with a pen and a notepad before the audio lecture starts. Always start speaking, as soon as you see recording status on your computer screen. Start your speaking with the topic sentence and explain your key points afterwards. Save your 2 to 3 seconds for the conclusion line.
- Active Listening:As soon as the recording starts, pay close attention to the speaker. Active listening is very important in this question as it contributes towards the listening module. In order to improve your active listening, listen to audiobooks like “Audible” and “Google Play Audiobooks’ ‘ and take notes. It will help you in listening to Summarise spoken text as well.
Overall, by using all these tips and strategies, you can achieve good scores in the PTE speaking section.