Things to Remember while Writing Essay in PTE Exam
An essay is a piece of writing which expresses our opinions, personal views and research of a particular topic as well. The Pearson Test of English Academic is a test that gives you the opportunity of evaluating your writing skills through writing essays. In the PTE Writing section, writing essays is the main task to increase your written discourse scores. Here are some tips which will surely improve your writing scores.
- Following a correct academic essay format: In order to achieve full 15 points in essay writing, your essay’s logical structure should be correct. There must be an introduction, 2 to 3 body paragraphs that describe the main ideas and a conclusion.
- Comprehending the essay topic: You get 3 points for content in your essay writing. Content means you answer the prompt correctly and you stated all the aspects of the question in your response. For instance, if you get 2 to 3 questions within a single essay topic then you have to answer all of them. For example, if you get an essay on the advantages and disadvantages of law changes human behaviour, then explain both pros and cons in your essay.
- Pay special attention to word limit: It’s important to follow the word length while writing an essay. Your word limit should be between 200 to 300 words. If you write more than 380 or less than 120 words, then your response will be awarded zero.
- Recheck for spellings, punctuation and grammar mistakes: After finishing your essay within 15 to 16 minutes, save your two minutes for proofreading. During this time, analyse your essay text for spellings, punctuation and grammatical errors. In this way, you can easily rectify the errors.
- Use the power of Academic Vocabulary words: In order to get full 2 points in vocabulary, use all academic words in your essay writing. For example, “myriad”, “preponderant”, “egregious” etc. To make your writing more attractive, you can use idioms in your essay, for example, “Every cloud has a silver lining”. You should never use short forms or abbreviations in your writing. Apart from that, avoid repetition of words and try to use synonyms for those words. Avoid using jargon in your writing as well.
- Planning your thoughts and ideas: Time management plays a major part in the PTE exam. Before starting writing your essay, always spend 1 to 2 minutes on understanding the topic and thinking about interesting ideas that will boost up your scores.
- Keep it simple: Sentence structure plays a key role in essay writing. Always try to write 6 to 7 simple sentences in your essay writing, as it is the easiest way of expressing your ideas in a few words. To make your writing more attractive, you can write 4 to 5 complex and compound sentences in your essay.
- Simple Sentence: It has one independent clause. A clause is a combination of a subject and a verb.
- Complex Sentence: Complex sentences are a combination of two or more independent clauses that are joined by a coordinator.
- Compound Sentence: Compound sentences are a combination of an independent clause and a dependent clause.
By following the above steps, you can easily avoid mistakes in your essay writing and can easily achieve 79+ in your writing section.
You may check out the Video below about the PTE exam.